August 15, 2011

Water for Elephants.....the book

I am not an avid reader, and I won't ever pretend to know a good book from a bad one.
What I have found frustrating about reading is that there is not a rating on books, like you get from a movie. I get excited about a book (or the idea of it) and as I am reading, it quickly changes.
With that being said, I hated this book. And particularly in comparison to the film. I had been warned that the book goes into much greater detail about the animal cruelty that took place on the circus trains, but I have to disagree. There were additional instances that took place, which is usually the case when transferring story lines from a book to film, but no more heinous than the film.
What took me off guard was that by the time I was to Chapter 9, I had already read about 4 sexual encounters in great detail. I was unprepared to read that kind of material. I stopped reading the book for about 2 weeks, unsure if I was going to continue. This, along with the language, about did me in.
I did finish it, but I now have a book for sale.

2 comments:

Carlee said...

BUMMER. There is little worse than reading a totally lame book. For what it's worth, thanks for the review so I don't have to read it!

Joellen said...

I second Carlee's comments! I appreciate knowing that it is something that I don't have to bother reading too. Irene, hopefully the next book you read is not such a disappointment!